How your cardiologist in Sugar Land, TX, can help you feel better
If you have ever experienced shortness of breath, you know how scary it can be. Every breath you take is difficult. Shortness of breath, also known as dyspnea, can also be a sign of a potentially serious medical condition like heart disease. It’s important to know what to do when you have shortness of breath, and when to see your doctor.
Dr. Naim Al-Adli at Fort Bend Heart Center in Sugar Land, TX, offers comprehensive cardiology services, and he can help you if you experience shortness of breath.
If you experience shortness of breath, you can try a few simple positioning techniques to help you catch your breath.
When you are sitting, remember to:
- Sit down and have your feet flat on the floor
- Lean forward slightly with your chest
- Place your arms on your knees or a table
- Relax the muscles in your shoulders and your neck
When you are standing, remember to:
- Stand with your feet apart
- Lean against a wall with your hips
- Rest your hands on your thighs
- Relax the muscles in your shoulders
- Lean forward slightly with your arms in front of you
When you are sleeping, remember to:
- Sleep on your side with your head elevated
- Bend your knees slightly
If you experience shortness of breath frequently, you need to seek out the services of your doctor. Chronic shortness of breath could be a sign of a common, easily treatable medical problem such as:
- A virus, like a cold or the flu
Chronic shortness of breath can also be a sign of a more serious condition such as:
- Lung cancer
- Congestive heart failure
- An anaphylactic reaction
- A heart attack
Shortness of breath is hard to ignore, and it’s best to visit your doctor to diagnose what is causing your breathing difficulties.
To learn more about what to do when you are short of breath, talk with a heart expert. Call Dr. Naim Al-Adli at Fort Bend Heart Center in Sugar Land, TX. You can reach him at (281) 265-8500, so call now!